Friday, January 25, 2013

Practice Makes Better

One of my goals for 2013 is to write more creatively.  More specifically "8) Write at least one creative post a week."  So far I have failed at that but its still January so I am not a total failure yet (wink wink).

Now in processing what this means, I have had to decide what a creative post means? I think originally it was more creative writing style like fiction, poetry, etc.  I want to hone those skills more.  I truly think practicing your art will make you a more rounded artist.  If i wait until perfect inspiration comes I will never write.  

So, for me, writing at all is a good habit to start. I get so bogged down sometimes by lack of inspiration or the tasks of the day that its just not a priority anymore. So I have decided that writing creatively means writing about anything other than technical things and giveaways or blog hops.  DISCLAIMER - I actually love the technical things, giveaways and blog hops. I seriously enjoy them BUT they are also serious distractions from why i began blogging. I started blogging because I wanted the outlet to write and making it public (though a long process) was necessary for me.  I needed it so that i would no longer be a closet writer and so that i had a community that helped encourage my desires as a writer.  I got caught up in the social politics of blogging but now I want to go back to the reason I started blogging in the first place... to strengthen that writing muscle.  


SO What does that mean?  In our staff meeting yesterday our main administrator posed these three questions when communicating to our parishes. So What? Who Cares? & Why Me?  She stated that we should ask these questions when communicating to our masses.  Bringing this over to my blogging, I want to ask these same questions.  I realize that sometimes when I write, I shouldn't consider these questions because it could stifle the writing process but in the same respect I think they force you to look at what you write about and why and really dig deeper into the why.  So I want to take some time, at least once a week, to write. Just write.  They may be creatively written posts or they may be about life but I will write. 

Brooke from Covered in Grace listed 30 Days of Blogging Prompts this week.  They were realistic yet simple writing prompts.  I hope to use these to help get that writing muscle going.  I won't do them every day but often enough.

Day 1: List 10 random facts about yourself.
Day 2: Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and describe how they became fears.
Day 3: Describe your relationship with your parents.
Day 4: List 5 things you would tell your 16 year-old self if you could.
Day 5: What are the 5 things that make you happiest right now?
Day 6: What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
Day 7: What is your dream job, and why?
Day 8: What are 3 passions you have?
Day 9: List 3 people who have influenced you, and how.
Day 10: Describe your most embarrassing moment.
Day 11: Describe a few of your pet peeves.
Day 12: Describe a typical day in your life.
Day 13: Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
Day 14: Describe 5 strengths you have.
Day 15: If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
Day 16: What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
Day 17: What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
Day 18: What is the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
Day 19: If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Day 20: Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
Day 21: If you could have 1 superpower, what would it be and what would be the first thing you did with it?
Day 22: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
Day 23: List your top 3 hobbies and why you love them.
Day 24: Describe your family dynamic from your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
Day 25: If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
Day 26: What popular notion do you think the world has wrong?
Day 27: What is your favorite part of your body and why?
Day 28: What is your love language?
Day 29: What do you think people misunderstand the most about you?
Day 30: List 5 things you would hope to be remembered for.
Thanks all for taking time out of your day to read my blog!  

Have a lovely weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...