Friday, November 4, 2011

DIY Starbucks Breakfast Sandwiches


I have a love/hate relationship with Starbucks.  I truly love about 80% of the things on their menu, from their coffees to their pastries to their breakfast sandwiches.  My issue?  I can't afford them.  I can't afford $4-$8 a day it would take to feed the habit it is to go there.  So I am reduced to DIY Starbucks.  Sometimes that means drinks but this time, it means breakfast sandwiches.  I love their low-fat turkey bacon english muffin. Not because its low-fat but because it got bacon, cheese and an english muffin.  I found a way to make my own version for about 1/3 of the cost.  My version isn't so low-fat but its still a hearty and good for you breakfast with all of its protein and fiber.

The great thing about doing it this way is that I can make 6 at a time just as easily as I can make 1 and reheat them as I want them.

What You Need:
6-8 pieces of Bacon (Whatever kind you fancy)
Cheese (Again, whatever you fancy)
6 eggs (or egg beaters)
6 english Muffins (again, its your choice)



Crack an egg into a greased muffin pan.  Cook at 350 until just cooked through, 8-10 minutes.  Its OK if tops are still slightly runny as long as you can take them out of the tin easily.  They will cook more when you cook the sandwich later.  The eggs will be thick when you pop them out.  If you prefer a small eggs or if you don't like your yoke fully cooked, then I recommend using egg whites or egg white eggbeaters.  


Cook the bacon as directed on the package.  I cooked mine super crispy.  It will lose some of the crispiness as its added to the sandwich.



Open up the english muffins onto a counter top.


Add sliced cheese of choice and bacon.



Add egg.


Close sandwich. Place sandwich in sealable sandwich bag.  Place in freezer if you don't plan on eating them within the next day or two.

Take the sandwich out the night before you plan to eat it and place in refrigerator so it can defrost.

Heat on panini grill or George Foreman to flatten sandwich. You can also heat in pan on the stove.  Cook until the cheese begins to melt.

You can add ingredients as you please.  Adding herbs or spice to your eggs is also an option.  This sandwich is completely customizable.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. yummmmmmmmm I love those sandwiches at Starbucks too and this is a very great idea to make them up ahead of time for quick mornings!! Thanks Girl! I have started buying Oregon OR TAZO Chai mix at Winn Dixie for about $5 for about 8 servings. I add a little soy vanilla milk and just like my Starbucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I never thought about cooking eggs in the oven. Brilliant! I know what I'm making tomorrow morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you - Starbucks is expensive but I do love this particular breakfast sandwich. We also DIY this sandwich and the only thing we do difference is use slices of round ham (maybe it's called back bacon - I'm not sure). It's just leaner than the regularly bacon and just as yummy. It all fits together as a circle as well.

    I'm visiting from the Sunday Fun Day Hop and I'm now following you via Twitter, RSS, Facebook, Pinterest, GFC, and G+

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...