Thursday, July 28, 2011

Challenge 1, Day 3: Granola Bars

I've been a little behind in posting lately.  I have been working on the recipes but i just haven't posted... Not sure why.   I know you have been chomping at the bit just waiting for my next recipe...  (yes, that is sarcasm)

I thought for Day 3, i would post my granola bars.  My roommates sister gave me a recipe about 6 months ago.  Since then we rarely don't have granola in our home.  I change it up a lot.  It barely looks like the original recipe.  This week she gave us a brand new adjustment that changes it drastically. 

The great thing about this recipe is that you can change the basic ingredients and amount to your own tastes.  

The problem with listing this recipe is that its so subjective that its hard to know what to put.... Oh well. Here we go!





For the dry ingredients, I use:
3 cups Oats (NOT INSTANT)
1/2 to 1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 to 1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 to 1 cup pecans (walnuts are great too... just expensive)
1 cup coconut
1 cup craisins (I use cherry flavored ones)

Feel free to mix and match what you like.  change up the nuts, seeds, add ins, etc.


Mix those ingredients together. I just use my hands.  



Next you'll make the "glue".  Originally, I used 1 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup oil.  Mixed in sauce pan over low to medium heat until melted together.

The change my friend gave me was 1 very ripe banana, maple syrup, peanut butter. (instead of the oil and honey and the heating)


Mix together in a bowl.  We didn't use measurements per se. Just add to our taste.  I used 2 bananas this time but i think next time I will just use one, add more peanut butter and a touch more maple syrup.  Again, its up to you based on your tastes.  If you LOVE banana then use 2, but if you just strongly like or kinda sorta like bananas i would use 1 banana and more peanut butter and syrup.

NOTE:  The difference in the two "glues" is pretty drastic in the consistency.  If you like your bars to be chewy bars, then use the banana option over the heated honey, oil and PB.  The banana made for a much chewier and consistent granola bar.  

If you like your granola more crumbly, in your yogurt then use the PB, oil and honey. 


Whatever you decide to do, now add your glue to your dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.


Press into a pan of your choosing.  The larger pan the thinner the bars.  Again, up to you.  Seeing a theme here?

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.

Cook the bars for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven.  Our oven likes to over cook things so we cook it for 20-25.

Take out of the oven when they look cooked enough.  If they start to brown a little then definitely time to take them out.

Let the bars cool before cutting them.

My friend advised us to refrigerate bars once we cut the bars.  We did that but i don't like them cold so i eventually took them out. Much better....


You can eat these crumbled in some yummy low fat Greek yogurt or as a bar on the go.  They are rich in protein but its also rich in carbs, fat and sugar.... So yummy though!

Enjoy!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...