Monday, March 26, 2012

Miracles



I haven't posted much in the last week.  In fact, it has much to do with my last post about my friend Rickey.  I was devastated by what he and his family were going through. To know Rickey is to know one of the sweetest, most creative, most hospitable, kind hearted, genuine men you can EVER know. I am not saying this out of sadness due to his accident. Had you asked me about Rickey the day before his accident, I would have told you the same. I have never met anyone quite like him or his wife.  They are truly amazing people.  I have learned so much about grace and peace from him over the last 7 months of working with him.  When I heard about his accident, all I could do was sit there in silence.  Things like that don't happen to men like him... to women like his wife.  OK, yes they do. They happen all the time... but in the moment, i couldn't believe that was true.



I spent the entire week kind of in a fog.  He wasn't waking up.  I wasn't angry at God. I knew that God isn't the one who did this to him... but I was pleading for God to intervene. Not seeing any change in the week that followed turned my sad heart into a grieving one.  I started to grieve for Rickey. I started to grieve for his family.  I was letting go of the idea that the Rickey we knew would ever come back to us.  I hadn't fully gone there but I was slowly getting there. 


On Saturday, I ran the Half Marathon I had been training for.  I vowed to spend the lucid thoughts I had during the race praying for Rickey.  Its hard in a run to concentrate on anything more then 5 seconds...but the times I could concentrate, I prayed for him.   I had an interesting conversation with the Lord that basically led me to believe Rickey would wake up. That his story wasn't over.  I pushed it down, honestly, cause I thought I was being too optimistic but in my soul I knew it wasn't over.


Later that night, as my roommate and I were chilling out I had an overwhelming sense to know what was going on with Rickey.  I am fasting for Lent from using Facebook, twitter and pinterest but I knew that nothing official had been posted so I cheated and checked my Facebook.  And the first thing on my page was 



My roommate and I spent the next hour crying, laughing, dancing, clapping, you name it.  I get that the road is not over for Rickey and Caitlyn but against the odds Rickey woke up and that is such a true miracle especially when conversations had been started about the what ifs of him not waking up and next steps.

Since then, I have been amazed at the stories, verses, praises and excitement surrounding such a great miracle.  

Continue to pray for Rickey. He's got a long road ahead of him.  But I have faith that the God of mercy and grace has greater plans for Rickey!  Check official updates here: trinitygracechurch.com/rickey

PS - The love that the Lord has for Rickey is the same love he has for you!  Life may be dealing you a pretty crappy hand but the God who created the earth, who breathed life into us loves you and wants to be in relationship with you.  He wants to heal the wounds you've received.  He wants to carry you through the difficult times you are facing right now. That is his desire.  You just have to let him.

Psalm 145
 1 I will exalt you, my God the King; 
   I will praise your name for ever and ever. 


2 Every day I will praise you 

   and extol your name for ever and ever.


 3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; 
   his greatness no one can fathom. 


4 One generation commends your works to another; 

   they tell of your mighty acts. 


5 They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— 

   and I will meditate on your wonderful works.


6 They tell of the power of your awesome works— 

   and I will proclaim your great deeds. 


7 They celebrate your abundant goodness 

   and joyfully sing of your righteousness.


 8 The LORD is gracious and compassionate, 
   slow to anger and rich in love.


 9 The LORD is good to all; 
   he has compassion on all he has made. 


10 All your works praise you, LORD; 

   your faithful people extol you. 


11 They tell of the glory of your kingdom 

   and speak of your might, 


12 so that all people may know of your mighty acts 

   and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. 


13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, 

   and your dominion endures through all generations.

   The LORD is trustworthy in all he promises 
   and faithful in all he does.


14 The LORD upholds all who fall 

   and lifts up all who are bowed down. 


15 The eyes of all look to you, 

   and you give them their food at the proper time. 


16 You open your hand 

   and satisfy the desires of every living thing.


 17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways 
   and faithful in all he does. 


18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, 

   to all who call on him in truth. 


19 He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; 

   he hears their cry and saves them. 


20 The LORD watches over all who love him, 

   but all the wicked he will destroy.


 21 My mouth will speak in praise of the LORD. 
   Let every creature praise his holy name 
   for ever and ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...