Thursday, November 17, 2011

Apple A Day: Apple Sauce

(Printable Recipe)

I actually made this about 6 weeks ago and even wrote up the recipe but never added the pictures and posted it.  Now, I seem to have lost 75% of the pictures so you just get this one.


Its not even the finished product (which was super yummy)

I got the base of this recipe from my good friend Kristina.  She's pretty awesome and so is her blog.  She's got great organic and healthy ideas.  I added a few items to my recipe like Grand Marnier.  The alcohol mostly burns off but leaves a subtle flavor.  It is a sugar free otherwise.  


What you Need:
6 cups apples (Variety)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup Grand Marnier
2-3 cups water
nutmeg
Brown Sugar (optional)

Directions:
Peel, cut and chop apples into slices or chunks.  Place apples into large stock pot or crock pot. Add water, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg to taste, and 1/4 cup of grand marnier.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low heat.  If using crockpot, put on low.  Let simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Taste as it cooks for flavor.  Add more water or grand marnier if apples get dry.  Because of the long simmer, the alcohol will boil off.  I did not add sugar as I wanted to keep this on the healthier side.  But add in sugar to taste.  The Grand Marnier will add a little bit of an orange flavor to it.  Once the apples are soft, you can either blend with an immersion blender or leave chunky.  Serve hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...