Friday, September 9, 2011

Challenge 1, Day 15 (Part 1) Slow Cooked Ribs

I have finally come to the end of my Cooking Challenge, though i have to say, I am now addicted. I can't make anything without taking pictures of it.  

Last week, I made a whole meal instead of just a dish.  This challenge will be posted in parts.  The first of the dishes was a slow cooked ribs recipe.  



I paired it with Roasted Parmesan and Rosemary Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus.






YOU NEED:
  • 2-4 pounds spare ribs (depending on your cooker)
  • 1 can or bottle of beer
  • 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chili sauce
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder


I used on the bone spare ribs. The original recipe I was following had boneless beef short ribs but I love pork ribs on the bone. I love the satisfaction of watching it fall off the bones as you pick it up. Messy? Maybe? But oh so tender and yummy.

I got 4 1/4 pounds of ribs but only used about 3/4 of that.  


Cut the meat into smaller segments (2 bones with meat). Place them in the crock pot.  

Note:  I trimmed as much of the fat off as I could. There is nothing more disappointing then when you pull out the rib thinking its a big chunk of meat and realizing its all fat.  

Making the Sauce:


In a large skillet, on low to medium, pour in 1 bottle of beer.  I used an organic beer that was a much richer beer then i normally use.  I usually only get what I will drink.  I don't like dark beer to drink but for marinades its great.

NOTE:  The original recipe called instead for beef broth.  I love using beer in my marinades.  It makes for a richer marinade.  Don't worry, it doesn't taste like beer. My roommate who hates beer never seems to notice the "beer".


Then add in the red wine vinegar.



Add the brown sugar and stir.



Add the chili sauce



The ketchup



The Worcester Sauce



and finally, add the chili powder, red pepper flakes and curry powder.  I even added a touch of nutmeg.  

I know, you're thinking that's a lot of pepper and chili, but its not. I promise. It wasn't spicy at all! Trust Me!



Stir the sauce on low to medium heat until well mixed and begins to boil.

Pour over the ribs.





Cover and heat on low for 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 hours.  Pull out and place on a plate.  Pour a couple tablespoons of the sauce over the ribs as they sit, waiting to be served.





The ribs were delicious and super tender. 



Stay tuned for the remaining recipes for this meal!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...