Friday, September 2, 2011

Challenge 1: Day 14: Tangy Slow Coker Pork Roast



I am coming close to the end of my Cooking Challenge.  I am sad to see it end but 15 days took 45 days to complete. No one seemed to care.  I am not even sure I have that many followers to really notice.


On Wednesday, I made this lovely dish.  Its a Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast.  It was delicious and I plan to make it again.  




YOU NEED:

  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
  • 3 red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters or more
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste




Cut the potatoes into quarters or smaller pieces.  Place in the bottom of your slow cooker/crock pot



Slice one large onion of choice.  Place slices on top of the potatoes in the crock pot.





Place the pork roast on top of the potatoes and onions.



In a bowl, add a cup of hot water.



Add sugar.



Add the red wine vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, salt and pepper.  I also added some red pepper flakes to the sauce to give it an added kick.  As you can see, I didn't do exact measurements.  I like to pour to taste.  I guestimated the amounts listed above.  It turned out very yummy.  



Then add the minced garlic.  I used freshly minced garlic. The original recipe called for garlic powder.  I use this lovely little gadget from Bed Bath & Beyond to chop my garlic.  Its called a Chef'n Garlic Zoom.  Add the garlic to the sauce and mix until well blended.





Stab the pork a few times to allow the sauce to soak in.  


Pour the sauce over the meat.





Cook on low for 4-6 hours



When done, carefully lift out the pork onto a dish.  Slice the pork to desired thickness.



  • Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the potatoes and onions onto each serving plate, then add the desired amount of pork.  Pour a small amount of reserved liquid on top of pork to add to the flavor.

  • This was a great dish.  The prep is pretty easy. You can definitely prepare it the night before and set to cook as you leave for work the next day.  Because the juice and meat will be cold from marinating over night, you could get away with cooking this dish for 6-7 hours. 

  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...