Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Challenge 1: Day 6 -Creamy Pasta with Roasted Zucchini, Almonds and Basil


Another Pinterest find, I made this a week or two ago and simply forgot about it.  That says nothing about how amazing it was, I just forgot.  Its what I do, its who I am....

When I stumbled upon the pictures, I was surprised and ashamed of my forgetfulness.  

This was a great meal.  We pretty much did it straight by the book, but with some, very minor substitutions.  


Ingredients:
2 Medium Zucchinis, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 
Extra virgin olive oil
salt
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 sprig basil, with leaves and stem
3 tablespoons goat cheese
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
6 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine.


Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees. 



Toss the zucchini and 1 1/2 tablespoon oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.  We use a gallon freezer bag to toss them.  It makes it a little easier to evenly coat.


Arrange zucchini on a baking sheet in a single layer. 

I'd like to take this time to introduce you to the hand that is in most of these recipes.  My lovely roommate and best friend, Ashley. She's pretty awesome and patient with me as it takes twice as long to cook things because I insist on taking pictures of every move.


Roast in preheated oven, tossing occasionally, until golden and tender.


Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until golden.

Transfer to a small bowl. 



Simmer the cream and basil in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup.

Whisk in the goat cheese until the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat; 

Stir in a splash of lemon and salt to taste. Cover and keep warm. 

Cook pasta of choice as listed on the package.  


Add the cream sauce to the pasta. 


Serve topped with the zucchini and almonds.

This was a delicious recipe. I misjudged the amount of pasta I was cooking so the sauce to pasta ratio was a little rich.  Make sure you make lots of pasta.  

If you are afraid of or are just against using heavy cream, you can use 3/4 cup milk and 1/3 cup butter. Melt the butter first, then pour into the milk and stir. If using low-fat milk, add a tablespoon on flour to the mixture.  This will not whip but you can use it for a recipe like this.


I hope you enjoy.  It really was a great recipe.  Let me know your thoughts, recommendations, etc.  I'd love to hear them!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...