Friday, July 29, 2011

Challenge 1, Day 5: Crockpot Cranberry Pork Roast

I love using the crock-pot to make things... Not sure why... sometimes it can take more work then not cooking in it.  Maybe its cause of the amounts. I always know I'll have enough for 2-3 nights of leftovers.  Always a good thing to have.

I found this recipe through Pinterest.  Another site I am slightly addicted to.  




The ingredients list is super small, which is always a good thing when on a budget.

You need:
3 pound lean, boneless pork loin roast, trimmed of fat and cut in half crosswise
16 ounces canned whole berry cranberry sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water

I used Honey Dijon instead of yellow mustard.  I prefer that always.   I love brown mustard and if you can add honey to it, even better.

Make sure you get whole berry cranberry sauce.  I make my cranberry sauce by hand, typically, so my only knowledge of canned sauce was the jellied stuff mom pulled out at thanksgiving as a kid. It wasn't until I was home that I realized I got the wrong kind.  Had to go back to the store. Luckily, the store is 2 blocks away. And it was a nice day. :)


Over medium heat brown all sides of the two pork loafs.  Don't cook it through, just brown the sides.  Once it is browned, place the pork in a greased crock pot.


In a separate bowl, mix the cranberry sauce, mustard and brown sugar.


Once it is well mixed, pour the sauce over the pork.  It will look like you didn't make enough.  Trust me, you did.  The juices from the meat will begin to fill the pot, cooking it to lovely perfection.


Cook on high in crock pot for 1 hour.  

After 1 hour, turn to low and cook for 5-6 more hours.


Remove the pork from the crock pot.  Use two forks to pull the pork apart.  Cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.


In a large bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until well mixed. Scoop cranberry mixture into the large bowl and then whisk cornstarch and cranberry mixture together. 



Place in the microwave and cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, or until thickened. 

Don't worry,  we changed the bowls.  

I am sure you can cook this over low heat on the stove as well.
  

Serve over rice or couscous, pouring the sauce on top of the pulled pork. 

This recipe is lovely. So light and appropriately sweet.  Its definitely a keeper.  

Random side note:  We drank some nice red wine with it.  I am not an expert on wine and what goes with what. I just love red wine and will drink it with anything... even fish... Yes, I get that it tastes better with some types of food.  Different flavors are pulled out, blah blah blah but if given the choice of white vs. red.  I will choose red every time.  

ENJOY!  Let me know what you think.  If you make it, please let me know how it turned out and what adjustments you made!  I love to hear!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...